I must preface this review with the following statement, I only read this book for tips on getting baby to sleep through the night.
The Baby Whisperer Solves All of Your Problems
- Very well written
- Excellent case studies
- Easy to follow instructions
- My 5.5 month old was dehydrated when I tried to put her on the 4 hour schedule
- I felt trapped and depressed putting myself on the 4 hour schedule
- The pick up put down method didn’t work
- There was 7 days of 5+ time a day meltdowns
- I was getting migraines and physically ill from listening to my child scream for 45 minutes 5x a day
Again I did not read any other section of the book, but I really did not like her sleep training method at all. There is nothing routine about having a baby, and there has to be a sleep method that factors in some flexibility. There are some days when the line for the post office is out the door and we are going to miss a nap or have to adjust a feeding.
I modified her routine from EASY (eat, activity, sleep, you time) to EAESY(eat, activity, eat, sleep, you time). I also was rotating through them at a much faster pace. My girl can only stay awake about 1.5-2 hours at a time. She is very active during her time awake and is curious about everything. Her curiosity makes her a distracted eater. Withholding food for longer periods of time so that she will eat more per sitting is not my idea of a proper plan.
Again as I said in an earlier post, you have to do what works best for both YOU and your baby’s personalities. If you are into strict routines and your child eats a decent amount each sitting then perhaps this book is right for you! If you child is a distracted eater, and your life slightly more hectic than I do not suggest reading this book for anything more than purely pleasure!